Prof Marianna Fontana (University College London, UK) joined us to discuss the discovery and impact of antibody-associated reversal of ATTR amyloidosis–related cardiomyopathy in three patients.
Prof Fontana and her team, in a correspondence published in The New England Journal of Medicine, revealed the identification of an antibody linked to the spontaneous reversal of cardiac transthyretin amyloidosis. This finding has the potential to pave the way for a novel approach to treating this disease.
1. Can you provide an overview of the three cases discussed in the correspondence?
2. What did you observe? How did you discover the antibodies?
3. How significant is this finding in the context of ATTR-CM treatment and research?
4. How did you prove the role of the anti-ATTR amyloid antibodies?
5. What are the next steps in investigating the potential of anti-ATTR amyloid antibodies as a therapy for ATTR-CM?
6. Are there any other related research areas or emerging treatment approaches that you believe hold promise for the future of ATTR-CM management?
Recorded remotely from London, 2023.